Friday, November 9, 2012

Family Connections

When I was growing up, a cousin sent out a newsletter a few times a year to keep extended family in touch.  I loved receiving this newsletter and writing my contribution.  I was sad to see it fall by the wayside.

Imagine my delight when I opened the mail today and found that the newsletter had been resurrected!  I want my children to know who they are connected to and what is happening in their lives. I love receiving mail and reading it with the kids.

My kids, by the way, are Philip and Gracie and they are 10 and 7.  They bring me so much joy.  John is my husband- steady and true and a wonderful person to be sharing my life with.

There is nothing on the planet more important to me than family.  I know that sounds trite; most people feel that way.  But I feel it so deeply.  I want to be with the people I love.  I enjoy being with my husband and children reading a good book together more than I would enjoy a night out at the movies with friends.  The fact that my family is spread coast to coast is hard for me.  My Dad is coming for Christmas and I am counting the days! I think about all of these people every day and make sure to tell stories of them to my kids.  Philip loves knowing that he is named for his grandfather and great grandfather. I love to look at old photo albums with the kids.  Philip looks just like my Dad when he was younger.  Gracie looks just like John. We use my great grandmother's butter dish.  These are the things that are important to me.

Our church family has moved beyond friendship to the status of family. I could call any one of the people at church at 1:00 am if I needed help.  I know they are here for us.  They love our kids, we love their kids.  We break bread together and laugh together and worship together.  I love it.  So many times I will be carrying something in my heart, and someone will come to me and say they felt they needed to talk to me.  There is usually a timely word of encouragement or correction.

Anyhow, this being my first real blog post, and having received the family newsletter this morning, I thought you should get to know the people that I love a little bit.  They are on my heart always!

No comments:

Post a Comment