Friday, November 23, 2012

Photo Worthy

In our social media drenched society, it can be easy to lose yourself in 'interacting and sharing' on your phone, iPad, computer or other gadget, and lose your involvement in the people you share your life with.

It is also really easy to get caught up in putting out a certain image instead of focusing on living a quality life.  I was about to post a picture to Instagram the other day when a thought bubbled up inside of me.  "Am I living a beautiful life that I happen to take pictures of, or is my desire to take great pictures making a life that looks good a little less good?"

I love social media, and taking pictures of my kids.  I want them to have photos to share with their children and grandchildren.  But more than that, I want a genuine life that my kids can look back on and say I lived with them.  If I happen to capture that in a photograph, then I am happy.    I want it to be full of real joy and real experiences, nothing manufactured or wrapped up neatly solely for others to enjoy.

It is also important to remember that NOBODY has a perfect life, regardless of what you may see on Facebook.  I know so many moms like myself who are tired and overwhelmed and in reality not everything looks great all the time.  But there is enormous pressure for us to be 'on' all the time.  Our kids feel that pressure.  (Ironically, I wrote a great Facebook post about this once, I will have to find it...)

So, I am encouraged to put down the phone and camera a little bit more.  To be hands on and not worry about what other people will see or think or about what they do.  To live the best life I can live with my family.

Here are some quotes to finish off this entry:

"Don't compare your behind the scenes to someone else's highlight reel."

"Comparison is the thief of joy."

"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots."  (Attributed to Albert Einstein; though I cannot find a reliable source.)


No comments:

Post a Comment