Saturday, January 12, 2013

An Inconvenient Truth

The other day, Gracie and Philip were bickering.  Gracie was the one in the wrong this time, but I was practicing a new technique called 'letting them work it out'.  I have a tendency to jump in and try to solve everything for them, which won't teach them skills they will need in problem solving and communication.

Philip threw out 1 Peter 3:8 at Gracie.  I don't remember exactly how he phrased it or which version he used but here's the gist:  "Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble."

Gracie groaned and said "Philip, I don't like it when you use memory verses like that!  I only like memory verses sometimes!!"  Like when they make her feel warm and fuzzy, or are used to teach her brother something, perhaps?

I suppressed a giggle.  Isn't that like all of us?  We are going along on our way and suddenly, the truth about ourselves comes and hits us in the face.  Then everything changes.  Sometimes we don't like this new found enlightenment, because it means we will have to be stretched or change.  We liked the truth when it was for someone else, or when it meant something good for us.

But in the end, it does usually mean something good for us.  I've come to the place where I love correction.  I love truth.  It might take me a while, at first I might groan and say "UGH, I don't like the truth right now!  I only like it when it serves me!"  But correction given in love and yes, truth, does serve me.  I will become a better person.  A better mother and friend and spouse.

I'm on a truth-finding, truth living mission.  I will live an authentic life.  This might mean some 'tough truths' are unearthed for me to work through.  But it is all for the better and in the end, it will be grand.

What are some 'hard' truths that changed your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment