Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Review of Little Passports


I was really excited to try out Little Passports.



From their website,

"Every month, our globetrotting characters Sam and Sofia visit a new country and send your 
child an exciting package in the mail including a letter, fun and unique souvenirs, stickers, 
photos, access to online games/activities in our Boarding Zone and more! A total of 24 different adventures available."

Plans start at $11 a month (if you sign up for a year in advance and pay up front) and go up to $14 a month.

I was so pumped when it arrived.  I was planning to write a unit study each month around each package,
and had already checked out library books and videos, and created some lessons to go along with the first country (Brazil).

I was so disappointed.

First of all, this is a difficult item to have kids share.  There is one letter, one souvenier, one passport, etc.  So if you want each kid to really experience the kit, you will have to order more than one.

Second, for about $140 a year, this was just too simple and plain.  I could print up a neat letter and make passports with the kids, which would not only be cheaper but also involve them more than the kit does.  The kit provides about 5 minutes of entertainment before it is discarded, and my kids are the kind of kids who can spend hours making fun out of a cardboard box and empty wrapping paper tube.

My recommendation would be to skip the Little Passports program.  You will be able to do so much more in learning about other countries in ways that are much more fun with the money you'll save.

 

1 comment:

  1. How disappointing... at first I was like, "Wow that is so cool, I want to get those." and then I read the rest :-( I seems like such a neat idea but too bad they are not well done.

    ReplyDelete