Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Simple Money Saving Tip- Shop Around and Leverage Your Deals

Here is a tip so simple, I can't believe I just tried it for the first time.

A few weeks ago, someone suggested on a money saving forum that you should always be shopping around for the best deals.  I thought "Yes, I should.  Why don't I?"

It so happens that it was time for us to pay our 6 month car insurance premium.  Stuff like this I plan and save for, but as we all know- things come up.  I wasn't looking forward to paying it, and started wondering if I was getting a good deal or not.  I had shopped car insurance before, but it had been a while.  So, I did it again- and found a great deal.  Then I thought, "My company probably doesn't want to lose me.  Maybe they'll match it."

I called my car insurance company, told them what I'd been quoted, and asked them to match the price if they wanted to keep me.  Not only did they match it, they offered me a MUCH lower price- for the same coverage.  A few minutes online and on the phone saved me more than 25% of my premium.

I was feeling good.  Saving money is invigorating.  So I started shopping around for an internet quote.  I got a great one and called my home internet provider.  Not only did they chop about 20% off of my bill, but they gave me a faster internet speed.  BAM!

I called my cell phone company and said "I need a deal."  They looked over my usage and my previous bills and found ways to save me money.  Then they recommended that I see if my husband's company offered a discount.  THEY DID.

All I had to do was ask and do a little grunt work online.  And I saved a bundle.  I had to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment