Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Glorification Of Busy

How many times have you asked someone how they are doing, and they respond "Busy!"

I understand busy.  Most people do.  Especially us Moms- we are expected to do it all (and with a smile, and in skinny jeans and a face full of makeup).

But what if we STOPPED being so busy?  Would everything collapse around us?  I don't think so.

Taking on too much leads to stress and frustration which leads to feeling tired and sick and strained relationships.

I have found that the less I do, the more I am able to relax and enjoy my kids and my home.  I am not talking about sitting here in my yoga pants (which I never do yoga in) seven days a week, I am talking about choosing NOT being away from home five nights a week, eating dinner on the run, going to 3 birthday parties each weekend, etc.  It's too much for us and it is too much for the kids!

I try to take commitments on a 'quality not quantity' basis.  This way I can give more of myself to whatever it is I am doing and the stress level goes way down.  I have found myself looking forward to going to things instead of the dread I used to feel when I had spread myself too thin.

If you find yourself feeling too busy, look for something you can eliminate.  You'll probably find yourself heaving a sigh of relief!

What keeps you busy that isn't adding to your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment