Monday, July 15, 2013

What's In A Name?



I think we can all agree- names are important.  We've all heard funny but (hopefully) untrue stories about twins named Orangejello and Lemonjello and there are other, not funny at all, true stories about children being burdened with worse names than that.

Your name is one of the first gifts given to you by your parents.  The things we speak over our children are so important, why would their name not be part of that?  We choose to speak life and encouragement and good things over our kids.  We will be calling them this name countless times.  It matters.

So today, I had a parenting smackdown moment where I realized I had been doing something I didn't want to do.  And I hadn't even realized it.

I was sitting with Philip and I said, "I love you, ______ _______ ______ (first, middle, last names)".

He looked at me in surprise and asked "Am I in trouble?"  I said "No, why would you think that?"

He replied "Because you usually only use my whole name when you're upset."

WOW.  This name that John and I prayed over and excitedly whispered about and that I drew surrounded in loops and hearts on every scratch pad around the house for months- he associates with trouble!

I definitely want to find a new attention getting phrase for when my kids need a warning.  Their name was a gift and is too special to be used in that way! 


No comments:

Post a Comment