Monday, August 12, 2013

A Simple Compliment

I used to be a serial store complainer.

I am not an unkind person but I never hesitated to call or go in and say "This is the problem I had in your store today."

Fast-forward to a few years ago, and little ears and eyes and hearts began following all I do.  Every phone call to a restaurant or a store was being monitored by my little sponges and I thought, "How often do they hear me call an establishment with compliments?"

So I made a decision.  Every time I had great service, I would call or email.  I would compliment more businesses than I criticized.

The first time I tried this out, it was a fast food restaurant.  They actually got my order wrong, but the man at the drive through window had been very friendly.  I pulled out my phone and dialed the number on my receipt.  I said "May I speak to a manager please?"  The woman sounded stressed immediately, and on guard.  She said "I'm the manager, what's wrong?"  I said "Nothing's wrong, I just wanted to compliment the young man at the window, he was very friendly and is an asset to the restaurant."  She perked up and said "Oh!  Wow, thank you for calling."

I bet people get tired of getting nonstop complaints.  This is a small way I have found to grow a bit, set a good example for the littles and maybe make someone smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment