Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Caring For Mental Health



I was talking with a friend recently who was hesitant to tell people that a loved one was getting mental health care.  During the conversation, this stuck out to me: "We treat our bodies when they aren't well, why is it so hard to admit sometimes our brains aren't well and need help too?"

Why is there such a stigma about treating mental health?  We treat our bodies.  We need to be sure to treat our brains too when they aren't working correctly.

I've been to therapy. There have been times I have needed medication.  Sometimes I just needed someone to use as an unbiased sounding board to help me sort out difficult situations.

I was talking to some therapists at the children's hospital, because Philip's long term special needs have really been taking a toll on us.  They said that there has been a big increase in people seeking therapy and mental wellness measures in my generation and the current generation.  They said they wished more people were willing to get help.

You might not need therapy...but maybe a loved one does.  Maybe someone you care about is already getting help but isn't confident in sharing.  So my advice is, get help if you need help, and be supportive when others do.  There is no shame!  Be proactive in fighting the stigma!


1 comment:

  1. Victoria, thanks so much for shedding a little light on this subject. I worked in the mental health field for many years, and it always saddened me to see people who would suffer terribly with depression or anxiety or whatever, and not seek help. I always said, "if your leg was broken, you'd get help for it wouldn't you?' It's the same thing...if you're hurting, someone can help you with that. I think part of it is the stigma of it all, but some people won't seek help b/c they think (or they think someone else will think) that they must be weak if they can't trudge through it all by themselves. Is it weak to get help for a broken leg? Of course not.

    Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete